Habitat homeowners must be active participants in building a better home and future for themselves and their families. Every Habitat home is an investment. For us, it is one answer to a critical need, and we believe that stronger homes will create stronger communities. Habitat chooses partner families for the homeownership program based on the following four criteria.
1 – Live or Work in Louisa County for at Least One Year Prior to Applying. Our need is so great in our county, we must limit our service area to Louisa County.
2 – Demonstrated Need for Decent, Affordable Housing. Potential homebuyers may find themselves in need of decent shelter due to a variety of circumstances:
- Living in poorly built, unhealthy, damaged or inadequate housing.
- Living in overcrowded housing conditions.
- Paying excessive home rental expense. A family should not have to spend more than 30% of their income for housing, not including utilities.
- Experiencing homelessness.
- Inability to access adequate housing through conventional means.
3 – Ability to Pay an Affordable Mortgage. Habitat offers homebuyers an affordable monthly mortgage payment. Mortgage payments are cycled back into the community to help build additional Habitat houses.
- The gross annual household income must be between 25% and 60% of the Louisa County average median income and is dependent upon family size.
# in Household Income Range
1 person $13,025 – $31,260
2 persons $14,875 – $35,700
3 persons $16,725 – $40,140
4 persons $18,575 – $44,580
5 persons $20,075 – $48,180
6 persons $21,550 – $51,720
- Total long term (10 or more months to pay off), recurring monthly debts, to include estimated mortgage should not exceed 43% of family’s gross monthly income.
- Applicant must show documentable income for a period of two full years prior to application.
Habitat does not require perfect credit and does not have a minimum credit score requirement for new home builds. Please allow us to provide feedback regarding your financial status. You might be surprised. We partner with individuals and families throughout the homebuyer journey to improve their overall financial health and develop appropriate repayment plans to pay off existing debts.
4 – Willingness to Partner. Your family and Habitat will become a team. You must be willing to help build your house or the homes of others in our homeownership program, attend classes and provide necessary information when needed.
Still have questions, call to speak with our Homeowners Services Team at 540-967-0486!
Ready to Apply – Our Application Process OPENS July 15th. Click here to learn how
Habitat for Humanity adheres to the Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act, which prohibits us from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age.