2020 Application Process is OPEN from 15 July through 15 September
Habitat offers a Hand Up Not a Hand Out
Owning a home helps a family break the cycle of poverty and build long-term security and financial independence. Partnering with Habitat offers families an affordable path to ownership. Habitat volunteers work side by side with Habitat homebuyers, known as partner families. The partner families invest hundreds of hours of their own labor – “sweat equity” – into building their own houses and the homes of fellow partner families.
Habitat Homeownership Program is established for community members who make enough to support a mortgage (along with normal living expenses), but who struggle to obtain conventional commercial financing. The homes are sold to partner families at cost. There are no profits for Habitat or the builders.
The Homeownership program is a long-term commitment and partnership between Habitat for Humanity and future homeowners. The application process takes an average of 5 to 6 months and the typical timeframe between approval for homeownership and purchase of a home is between 18 to 24 months.
Can anyone apply to be a Habitat homeowner?
Yes, Habitat follows a nondiscriminatory policy of homebuyer selection.
The Application Process
How to Apply:
- Fill out an application to determine initial qualification into the program. An application can be obtained by one of the following ways:
- Pickup at the Fluvanna/Louisa Housing Foundation located at 101 Woolfolk Av. Louisa. The foundation staff has been kind enough to allow Habitat applications to be picked up and dropped off at their office during business hours. If you have questions about the application or process, please direct to Habitat and not the foundation. Thank you.
- Download the form using button below. The form must be printed and then filled out.
- Request an application via email – Contact@hfhlouisa.org
- Call 540-967-0486 if you have any questions.
- Complete and return the application and required material to Fluvanna-Louisa Housing Foundation during business hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30 – 4:30 OR mail to: Habitat for Humanity of Louisa County, P.O. Box 1179, Louisa, VA 23093. Please remember to include cash or money order payable to “Habitat for Humanity of Louisa County” for the credit report fees at the time you drop off the application package.
- Participate in the Application Information Meeting (AIM). Because of COVID-19 concerns, in-person meetings will not be held until further notice. Instead, on-line or phone sessions will be conducted. After viewing the on-line presentation, a short quiz must be passed to ensure the entire presentation has been viewed.
- Louisa County is a chapter under the Greater Charlottesville Habitat affiliate and therefore, we are using their version of the AIM on-line video. Some of the information does not apply to Louisa. The Homeowner Services Team will clarify these differences when they speak to you.
- Please use the buttons below to view the video and then follow up with the quiz. Remember, this is a required step of the application process.
AFTER completing the application:
- Applications are thoroughly reviewed and credit reports are run.
- Homeowner Services will set up a meeting to discuss the application and inform the applicant if they are eligible to proceed.
- For eligible candidates, employment and landlord verification is confirmed and additional documentation is requested.
- Home visits are conducted to verify housing conditions.
- Homeowner Selection Committee reviews summary of applicants. The following checks are conducted: Background, Sex Registry, and Office of Foreign Assets Control List. Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Board of Directors accepts or rejects the applications.
- Applicant receives notification of approval
- Applicant and Homeowner Services staff review and sign Partnership Agreement
Habitat for Humanity adheres to the Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act, which prohibits us from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age.